A colon is often used to delineate a key:value pairs (e.g. mail headers
[RFC822]). Perhaps the convention to use this for labels: form controls
grew out of this before the intorduction of the label element?

Now that we have actual label elements that we can associate with form
controls, this type of representation is purely optional.

--
Terrence Wood

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone: +64-4-8033354