Al Sparber wrote:

Conditional comments only validate in the sense that the validator doesn't recognise them as anything other than comments and hence ignores the content. So, your page will validate against automated checking, but technically you are using invalid code

That's a real stretch :-) How about the typical parsing bugs that CSS geeks tend to use - are those better because they eek through "da Validator" even though they leverage programming bugs in browsers?

Howdy,

I don't disagree with you often, but I do in this case. I don't see his view as a stretch at all; I think he is bang on. Conditional comments, which I do prefer to the more often used hacks, are not part of any standard, which makes them invalid markup by nature. There is no way to argue that point validation or otherwise.

Some hacks that "leverage programming bugs in browsers" are opportunistic (and perhaps overly optimistic), but they remain valid CSS. Using this method could *possibly* cause problems with browsers of the future, but then again, so could conditional comments. Also, some developers ritually abuse conditional comments by adding invalid CSS or expressions to their IE style sheets because they know the validator won't catch them. True CSS geeks make sure all of their CSS validates; not just the stuff the validator can see.

Conditional Comments are a clean and safe way to address IE Windows issues. Those who use them, who have used them, will have minimal or no issues once IE7 is released. You can bank on that.

I agree: CC's are /currently/ the cleanest and safest way to deal with IE Win issues, but they are not infallible or 100% future proof. Allot depends on factors we probably haven't even considered yet. For example, (and this really might be a stretch :))there are allot of folks who have fixed an across the board IE issue by isolating specific CSS to all versions of IE using just <!--[if IE]>.

In this case, if IE 7 (assuming whatever bug I was using the CC's to hack has been fixed) gets the primary CSS right, but is still being fed the alternate style sheet, I'd have to go back and break that CSS out somehow or change the expression in my CC's. Depending on how things are set up, that could be allot of work in its own right.

In the same scenario as above, if I used the * html hack to achieve my goal and IE 7 doesn't recognize * html (I believe that is the rumor), then I have to change nothing--all should continue to work and be happy.

The truth (at least my version of it :)) is, I can't bank on anything yet and I won't know how things are going to actually play out until I have a browser in which to test them. For the most part though, I do believe those of us using CC's will encounter fewer issues.

Best regards,
Michael Wilson