John Lewis wrote:
Hi Mike,

I was interested to see that you are using the back-slash hack when
importing your stylesheets, commented as: "Excluding old versions of IE
etc".
I guess what I'm most interested in is how that decision was made? Is it
part of your company's approach/philosophy or was it a choice the client
made/business rule to not show styled pages for these browsers - thus
lowering or containing the cost of the project? The obvious casualties
being IE 5 for Mac and IE5.0.

Hi John

no, that was an informed client choice! We had orginally done the templates to look pretty much the same in IE5 (Win and Mac), but during the integration phase they decided to not send styles to those browsers.

I think their statistics showed very few visits from those browsers. I guess this may be one of the first examples of a major (for NZ) public site making the choice not to send styles to those browsers.

Yah for clients prepared to make that decision :)

Mike