Hi Kevin,

Nice example, top marks ;).

Sometimes these discussions can get a little abstract and one (real world)
example can help make the discussion less murky.

Geoff, I understand your pain with regard to traditional (print) designers and
the often rocky transition to screen-based design. (Although there's also no
guarantee that a developer is any more aware of interface semantics.) By way of
confession, back in '97 I coded a form using radio buttons as found them more
satisfying aesthetically than checkboxes. Hopefully education or general
awareness means that up-and-coming web designer/developers have more of a
community to draw on.

I often think the root cause of many issues with website usability come down to
the mock-it-up-in-Photoshop-then-hand-it-over-to-the-tech-people-to-be-built
approach. Ideally there would be meaningful dialogue between the brand/visual
and the interface/usability.

>I actually used read only input fields recently for our online subject
>selections. Compulsory subjects were pulled out of a database and displayed
>as read only input fields, while other fields were normal <select> elements.
>
>Why not just display the compulsory subjects as plain text? Because then
>there is a visual and cognitive dissonance between the two information sets
>- they can seem unrelated, especially when you consider that high school
>students rarely read a web form's accompanying text, no matter how
>important. I think in this case the fact that the information was displayed
>with as part of the form avoided that problem, while using the "readonly"
>attribute and styling the input text a medium grey took care of the rest.

Cheers,

--
Andy Kirkwood | Creative Director

Motive | web.design.integrity
http://www.motive.co.nz
ph: (04) 3 800 800  fx: (04) 970 9693
mob: 021 369 693
93 Rintoul St, Newtown
PO Box 7150, Wellington South, New Zealand