> Geoff Deering

> Secondly, by this recommendation you are actually addressing the flip
> side of the problem I am trying to address.
>
> The case you are addressing here is
> 1) A recommendation of how to deal with styles that may
> conflict with a
> form element that is in an activated state.
> 2) What I was addressing was dealing with styles that may
> conflict with
> a form element that is in a non activated state.

Aeh...I don't see how recommending that users should have the ability to
override the designer's style suggestions if they're proving to be confusing
only addresses 1 and not 2.

> Either way, that these recommendation could be feasible in
> practice, is
> for the functions within the user agent being able to detect at least
> two conditions;
[...]
> I can't see how this type of functionality will ever be added
> to a user
> agent because it goes against the fundamental interface principles of
> OSs.  The WAI/UAAG would come under scrutiny if they did
> this.  And with
> all the bugs and unimplemented recommendations in user agent
> development, I can't see this ever seeing the light of day.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but this functionality *already exists* in user agents
(although it's a tad on the crude side, I'm hoping to see a more granular
control)

As for UAAG, this is an implementation of guideline 4 Ensure user control of
rendering
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-USERAGENT/guidelines.html#gl-user-control-styles
"Ensure that the user can select preferred styles (e.g., colors, size of
rendered text, and synthesized speech characteristics) from choices offered by
the user agent. Allow the user to override author-specified styles and user
agent default styles."

Are we now talking completely across purposes?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk