If you mean a vertical scroller that scrolls by hand, you can steal this one I made (CSS) way back:

http://www.ventnorcity.org/

If he want marquee scrolling or auto vertical scrolling, tell the client that its just plain bad taste - yuck! Just kidding.

Joe Taylor
http://sitesbyjoe.com

Giles Clark wrote:

I have a client who is insisting on having a newscroller on his front page.

While there are many options, Java, Flash, DHTML, open to me to fulfil the
scroller request I just wondered what anyone felt was the most standards
compatible solution?

Many thanks