Alan Trick wrote:

> As far as server side languages like PHP, JSP, and the other
> abominations - I think that probably belongs in another course.

Being far removed from higher education, I'd kind of skipped this
thread but that caught my eye; the originating comment:

>>For example, Movable Type, Wordpress and other blog systems are all open
>>source CMS tools. A web designer is going to need to think about how to
>>create templates based on the functionality of these CMS systems. The
>>ones I mentioned are php/mySql, but there are other that are Java, ASP
>>and JSP as well.

I think it would help non-programmers to evaluate CMS/framework
software if they were at least aware of the 'MVC' design pattern
(and the concept of Design Patterns in general, for that matter).

The Model-View-Controller pattern represents a separation of data,
presentation, and business logic in the overall system, as current
(X)HTML/CSS is intended to separate data and presentation at the
View level.

Finding a template system with code interwoven through the markup,
or worse yet *generating* markup (when you see something like e.g.
will be extremely painful to make substantial changes.

will be much more flexible. Some languages lend themselves to the
latter approach more than others, but that's OT for this forum. :-)

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                          dream.  code.