Terrence Wood wrote:
Lachlan Hunt said:
<!--tab----> is an invalid HTML comment
how so?

In SGML, the comment syntax is as follows:
<!                     (Markup declaration open (MDO))
-- first comment --    (Zero or more comments.)
-- second comment --
>                      (Markup declaration close (MDC))

Only white space (or nothing) may occur between comments (except that no whitespace may occur immediately after the MDO). So, breaking up the above comment into components, we see:

<!        (MDO)
--tab--   (comment 1)
-->       (start of comment 2, missing end "--")
          (Missing MDC)

If it were XHTML, it would be well-formedness error. However, since it was occuring in CSS, it wasn't really an (X)HTML comment, it was just using the syntax and I felt it worthwhile to mention so that the same mistake isn't made within HTML.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/