From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of ivanovitch
Sent: Monday, 5 December 2005 9:32 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] 2-col question

Folks - you've helped out before, and I'm asking again. Pardon if this
sounds all too simple, but I've yet to find a solution either in this list's
archives, or on the web.

I'm trying to create a fluid layout with two columns, but whilst the left
column is variable width, the right column (sidebar) is to be a fixed width
(190px). This is entirely because the right column contains an image in
every instance. But I want the left column to take up the remainder of the
space (viewport width - 190px).

Everything that I've seen or reviewed works fine if I wish to break the
columns by percentage, or pixel widths on both. And min-width doesn't seem
to work for IE.

Having divved up some non-table examples using the usual suspects, my
efforts result in my finding that when making the viewport window very small
(or when enlarging the text to huge sizes), the left column slides under the
righthand column.

Do I need to use double-divs to set a width for the troublesome right
column? The most frustrating part of this is using tables and cells, this is
a no-brainer.

I'd show you an example of where I'm at, but my test site is down at the
moment.