Peter Williams wrote:

From: Patrick H. Lauke

Peter Williams wrote:
1 star for content to markup ratio
1 star for validation of markup and css
Let the market regulate itself. Let standards-compliant markup sites take over because of their benefits actually manifesting themselves (easier to maintain, faster, etc). We don't need yet another badge...imho of course.

It's not yet another badge, it was a way to show compliance
in a way that average people could relate to. As a response
to the charge that the W3C buttons and validator links are
too techy and people business people don't get it.