From: "heretic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personally I'd keep "must" and let people sort it out for themselves,
because you should never suggest the rules are still being followed if
they're being broken. But policy speak dictates "should".

In any case, we are dealing with a language (English, that is) which
produced the rule "I before E except when it's not." I know, it used
to be "...before C" but that's not actually true ("weird" isn't it).
Crazy language :)

I do agree that English is a crazy language - but that's as far as I go :-) The gent from Harvard provide the link to the W3C's definition of "should", which seems to jive with mine. As for a standards-based page, agreeing that it is not a hard and fast rule that tables be banned for layout, can you present some logical arguments against this page - keeping strictly within the context of standards:

http://www.projectseven.com/csslab/zealotry/linear_basics.htm

Al Sparber
PVII
http://www.projectseven.com

"Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs are scheduled for next Tuesday".