Al,

Since, my whole point has been that using a simple layout table, as opposed to a nested monstrosity, can sometimes be a good thing

I'm glad you are championing my original cause, which somehow got way off course in the thread.

Not only can a simple table be a good thing, it is still the only way to get cross-browser (not just Opera or whatever) equal height columns (expanding to fit the content of the longest one) without resorting (as you pointed out) to javascript. Until such time as this can be done as easily (and reliably) without tables as it is with, I'm going to stick to my one table when needed.

I had hoped for some real "solutions" when I posted my original two cents, but none came. I can only conclude there are none, yet.

Bob