From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of russ - maxdesign
Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2005 11:19 AM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: Re: [WSG] Abbreviations and Acronyms

> What makes more sense from the accessibility point of view?
> What makes more sense from the semantic point of view?
>
> Or is this just a personal choice and has absolutely no effect
> whatsoever on the end result? Am I over analysing this to death?

I wrote a long post on this subject a while ago which talks about
Abbreviations, Acronyms, Initialisms and Contractions:
http://www.mail-archive.com/wsg@webstandardsgroup.org/msg15231.html

A hotly debated topic...

Also discussed at length here:
http://juicystudio.com/article/abbreviations-acronyms.php

Problems?
1. Internet Explorers does not support <abbr> 2. While some assistive
devices have the ability to present abbreviations and/or acronyms, this
feature often needs to be "turned on" - in other words it is not a default
setting. Some users of assistive devices find this additional information
too confusing and would be unlikely to turn on this feature at all.

Russ