I would just like to share the solution to my problem.

div#menu a:hover {
border-right:0;
}

I do not understand why this makes IE show the hover text, but it does so I guess I'm happy. If anyone knows why it works please let me now. Otherwise just tuck it into the "IE is weird" category for future reference.

Regards
Morten Fjellman