On Dec 13, 2005, at 1:37 PM, Ric & Jude Raftis wrote:

Alt attribute content only provides tool tips in IE because it is a non-compliant browser. They do not display in other browsers. The title attribute however, does display in Firefox, but not sure about Opera et al.

On my tests, Firefox, Safari, and Opera display the title. IE will display title text if it is provided, and alt text if there is no title text.

My current project has css rollovers display the full text of an abbreviation within an image. The title text was the full text, but that meant that a hovering mouse would trigger the full text rollover *and* the full text title popup -- a confusing double effect.

So I nixed the title, but then IE displayed the alt text abbreviation, which was worse because now the abbreviation was concealing the full text. An empty title attribute (title="") didn't override this behavior, so I wrote an htc called "Alt Destroyer" that will remove the alt text in IE for images that are successfully loaded. Not stress tested, but so far works like a charm to prevent ugly alt popups in IE.

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio