Stephen Stagg wrote:
Jared Smith wrote:
Felicity Farr wrote:
I love the attitude of the big players...provide a text alternative and
it's instantly accessible.
I'm no lawyer, but it sounds to me like using a text-only page as an excuse for otherwise inaccessible content is a violation.

I'm no expert, but I thought that Flash WAS inaccessible and therefore when designing a flash-based site, compliance cannot be accomplished in any other way BUT by having a text alternative.

It's necessary to have alternative content, but there is no reason for the alternative content to be nothing more than plain text. Good alternative content to flash would include relevant images, videos, audio, etc. Each of those should then also have appropriate alternate content. It should be built to look something like this diagram:

           ______________Flash______________
      _Video_      Text        Audio      Images
     /       \                   |    (PNG, GIF, SVG, etc.)
Images       Text               Text        Text
   |  (captions/subtitles)  (transcript)

  Text

--
Lachlan Hunt