Richard,

Martijn van Welie's been hacking away at something like this for a bit - check it out :o)
http://www.welie.com/patterns/index.html

indeed he has. I devote some space in the original webpatterns article to discussing the strengths and weaknesses of what Martijn has done.

There are three shortcomings I see

1. its not collaborative and I feel the domain is too big, with too many specialties for one person to be able to develop a pattern language in this way 2. There is no real organizing principle - essentially it's a catalogue not a "language". I'll be posting my outline for the structure of the webpattern language soon - its structured and hierarchical 3. It's not generative - it doesn't capture the interrelationships between patterns (complex patterns like sites are made up of others like pages, which in turn are made up page sub parts and so on).

I do detail this in the original article,

http://westciv.typepad.com/dog_or_higher/2005/11/webpatterns_and.html

thanks

john

John Allsopp