Richard,

I don't know, Sam...

I mean, we're not forcing someone to use these patterns. But let's face it, they're patterns because lots of people use them.

exactly. These patterns exist already. Its not about saying "you should do these things in this way" rather "over time, when solving this kind of problem, the following conventions have emerged"

For example:

previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next

look familiar?
Google and almost every multi-page set of results uses this. I'd call it a convention. We're using the word 'pattern'.

very nice example - there are actually two patterns here - a "navigation strategy" (how to allow users to conceive of and move around a set of information) and apage architecture pattern, how to present that strategy to the users. There might even be an interaction pattern lurking in there too if you look closely enough.

What's the best way to mark this up?
Well, I'd hazard a quess that this was an ordered list.
But then there's those two at the beginning and end....
How are they best semantically marked up?
And what CSS is best used to effectively display them?

at this point, we get into suggested solutions. There is often going to be more than one common solution, (note again this is about capturing current practice, rather than dictating the "one true way"). The pattern captures these solutions, and discusses the pros and cons of using them. The developer still needs to make a choice in the context of their project, and then implement the pattern.

What I'm saying is that instead of:
a. trying to figure it out for yourself (which at the VERY best is time consuming), or
b. Cut'n'pasting someone else's dodgey table-based code....

... you could go to this site and, knowing that this is the Best Practice method, use that bit of code.

I'd just pluralize Best Practices, and I think you've got agreat example here

Hang on! Oh yeah, the standards community has already started doing something like this with hCard via MicroFormats, right?
Thing is, I think the idea could be applied to more patterns.

Yes, microformats are certainly patterns - what I term (for now) data patterns, by and large. WebPatterns are more general than µf, in part because the µf crew have specifically decided to focus on one aspect of patterns, at least for now.

You never know, it might end continually re-occurring debates on mailing lists (like those I mentioned in my first post).

or at least move them to a wiki :-)

Thanks for the great ideas

John Allsopp

style master :: css editor :: http://westciv.com/style_master