I am aware that — is an incorrect character entity for the em dash, that the correct entity is —.

But I was mucking about on the W3C Character entity references in HTML 4
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html

and noted that the named entity references are now linked to the decimal character entity reference, so that mdash refers to

—.

Is it safe to use the named references that formerly refered to the control
characters?

If you have used these named references in the past, so long as you have(update to) the correct character encoding, do these automatically refer to the correct entities?

Kat