Is there any logic I can apply (ordering CSS etc) that will affect the
order the browser requests and downloads background images?

Bear this in mind, too - some browsers will call *all* images specified with the background property in your CSS file, whether they're needed for that page or not. I fell foul of this one, and was wondering why my first page was taking aaaages to render. The solution? Boring, but multiple CSS files, one for each page, containing only the bg image declarations for that page.

HTH...

Nick
Omnivision. Websight.
http://www.omnivision.com.au/