Vincent Hasselgård wrote:
When it comes to font-sizes I'd really like to blame the browsers. I don't think it's up to us to provide tools for enlarging or shrinking fonts, just like it's not up to newspapers to provide a spyglass with every paper. Both Windows and MacOS are shipped with different tools to help people with special needs. Among those tools there's a zoom-tool. In addition browsers like Opera also has a zoom-tool and as I've heard IE7 will also come with a zoom-tool. The problem with IE6 and FireFox is that the function to increase or decrease font-size is "well hidden" and they are also very easy for users to change without themselves knowing it.

My argument:
Newspapers comes out with fixed font-size, but people who's got low vision may very easily use a spyglass to read easier. People in need of a spyglass gets themselves one. The same thing applies to web and computers, it's just that not all people are aware of the invention of digital spyglasses. Solution: Spread the word of this invention.

I'm of course also willing to listen to your arguments, you might have thought of something I've never thought of!

Best regards
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

I couldn't agree more. Your point about the library shows clearly that cooperation between designer and user is paramount as a starting point in discussions. It's all a question of balance - consideration for the user (and proper knowledge of his/her needs) and consideration of the usability of the 'components' of the product. How far the designer can impose his own 'design' is (must be) a function of the usability. With a table-lamp it doesn't matter (you have the choice to buy a different lamp), with a light-switch in a public place it's crucial. It's all about the balance between the amount of freedom the designer has in the relationship between his 'product' (be it a lamp or a web site) and his 'audience'.

But blaming the designer for shortcomings in the tools used to 'employ' the product is approaching the problem from the wrong end. It's still important, but it isn't where the main action should be directed.

Big topic this - and a difficult one.

--
Best Regards,

Bob McClelland