<...>
> Yes, we as developers
> can educate them, but when they see their competitor sites (and
> even big sites from the likes of IBM and co.) *all* setting a slightly
> smaller default font size, they expect the same on their site as well.
> A "yes, but all those other sites are wrong and I do it the right way"
> argument won't hold much weight in that situation, I'm afraid...

And what if there is a reason for that (slightly smaller font size)?
I prefer when font on monitor has roughly the same _angular_ size as
font in books. And no, it is not 16px. So in this sense I do prefer
smaller fonts.
But, frankly, I am very tired of these assumption based discussions.

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/