Ian Anderson wrote:

<http://www.standards-schmandards.com/?2004/11/06/6-the-sound-of-the-accessibl
 e-title-tag-separator>

Anyway, for the benefit of others interested in this thread/topic,
the upshot from the above link seems to be that the pipe character
(|) is the best compromise currently available as a screen
reader-friendly element separator.

The vertical bar is the worst thing you can use in a breadcrumb trail

Just realised that the article quoted by Patrick is in fact related to separators in the document title. In that case, I agree that the vertical bar is an appropriate separator. For example, quite often it is desirable to put the site name and the specific document title in the title element, and the order may be either way round:

Adobe Systems | Buying software online

Here, I don't think directional separators have value, unlike in a breadcrumb trail. It's also common to omit intermediate levels of the hierarchy in a page title.

Cheers

Ian

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net