Will major search engines for phones take any notice of javascript?

Google
http://www.google.com/xhtml/
Ask
http://m.ask.com/

They ignore stylesheets even if you make one for small screens!
They strip the page headers of meta tags, linked javascript gone is my guess?
Should we give up making pages for small screen?
Just W3C validate and accessibility test.

Some user agents in server logs show a different user agent phone type like nokia et al.

Tim