On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Bob Schwartz wrote:

First a disclaimer:

This post does not reflect my personal views on web accessibility or handicapped persons, it is merely a collection of "academic" thoughts triggered by various posts of the past few days.

How and why did the web get singled out from among all of the other "publishing" mediums to be "by law" accessible?

Why aren't book, magazine, and newspaper publishers "required" to produce an audio or braille version of everything they publish?

Why aren't TV broadcasters and movie production companies "required" to sub-title all of their broadcasts or films, or have an "off screen reader" describing the scenes?

Isn't saying one can't (shouldn't) use, for example, a popup window on a web site because screen readers have trouble with them, like telling Hollywood they can't (shouldn't) use certain special effects because the "off screen reader" would have trouble explaining them to a blind person?

I'm no lawyer, but I believe that in US the argument is based on the Americans with Disabilities Act being applicable to any "public space" and that there has been a test case (or cases?) in which a web site was found to be a "public space".

If I was a lawyer, with time on my hands, I guess I might make an argument that though the internet as a whole may be a public space, analogous to a bookstore, cinema or video store (all of which must comply with ADA), an individual web site is more akin to the wares available in those venues, and hence the level of compliance should be a matter of the provider's choice.

But why argue? Providing accessibility is so obviously the "right thing" both morally and economically (maximise customer base) for large commercial sites. And the chances of a small niche site selling, say, optical gear is not likely to be prosecuted for not being fully accessible to the blind.

Andrew

109B SE 4th Av
Gainesville
FL 32601

Cell: 352-870-6661

http://www.andrewmaben.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"In a well designed user interface, the user should not need instructions."