From: "Designer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I may be late to the party with this, but I think what they're looking for would be:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew - Simon put me on to this also, and it's EXACTLY what the
validator is demanding.

There really is not an accessibility "validator" in the same sense as there is an HTML or CSS validator. Accessibility is not black and white. I believe your original code is fine:

<h1> EVERY STREET IN MANCHESTER </h1>

<h1> MANCHESTER KISS </h1>

An assistive reader, in the vast majority of cases, is not going to machine-gun "What the critics say". It's going to read the headings, then the content/links that come below.

This might be a case of overanalyzing things a bit. The goal is not to satisfy a machine-based checker, but to provide a usable and accessible page.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com