[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The HTML & XHTML definitive guide from O'Reilly states that NAME is a
> required attribute in INPUT. Can I just substitute ID for NAME and still
> adhere to web standards or is NAME really required? I'm coding for HTML
> 4.01 strict.

The name determines the control name for the purposes of submitting the
form to the server. An id can't take the place of name for this as it
makes having multiple elements with the same name[1] impossible.

An id should be added for the purposes of anything client side -
including assigning labels to controls using the for attribute (since
support for that method is stronger then nesting the input inside the
label element).

[1] This is often convenient, and in the case of radio buttons - essential.

--
David Dorward                               <http://dorward.me.uk/>