Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
Quoting Designer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

A significant number of photographers regard a 'collection of
photographs' as being 'the work', and the way that work is shown (the
relationship between one image and it's adjacent  images, and indeed,
to the whole) is of paramount importance.  What I'm saying is best
illustrated by considering the case where the photographer is having a
show at a gallery : he doesn't just throw the images at the wall (so to
speak) - he spends ages deciding which image goes where, etc etc.  My
point is that, in this case, Patrick's excellent rule of thumb  that "
moving cells around changes the meaning of the data" applies to this
case also, and the work can be considered as tabular data.  As I said,
it <em>is</em> subtle.

I think, though, that this is stretching the idea of "tabular". As I said, the source order itself can be used to determine sequence. And, if it's spatial relationship (what's above, what's below, etc...rather than just what came before/after), then HTML is probably not a suitable language to define that relationship in a satisfactory and semantically unambiguous manner - perhaps other technologies like SVG (provided they can encode the relationship in a non-visual manner as well) may be more suited, not sure.

In any case, I'd say that this is stretching both the idea of what is "tabular" and of what can be unequivocally represented by HTML alone. It's also a slippery slope because, following the same rationale as a photographer, a designer doesn't just "throw text and images on the webpage", but carefully chooses their placement/layout...so a designer may also claim that, because they spatial relationship conveys meaning, a table would be appropriate for their layout.

Very muddy territory,

--Patrick H. Lauke

Muddy indeed! However, A web page is not a presentation of data in the same way. Using the same analogy as before, the gallery is equivalent to the web page, and the images are a small section of what appears in (on) it. So, using tables for layout would be semantically equivalent to changing the decor of the gallery, not the works that are being shown in it. The works remain 'tabular', unless, of course, the exhibitor doesn't care about where the pictures go, relative to each other.

This is fun! :-)

--
Bob

www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk