Setting the font-size like that is to create a more even base-line size
across multiple browsers.
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/browser.html

It is not the determining factor on end-user font size. (unless of course
you never declare the em size for your markup)
 - that is depended on the value of the em declarations used for markup
and the em declarations used on any container objects.

If you want to complain that 9-11pt text is too small? fine, but you are
disagreeing with one possible end result, not the body: font-size %
declaration.

>arbitrarily assuming that there's something wrong with the user's choice
of default ...
I guess we also shouldnt be second guessing our users choice of font,
weight, spacing, color ... positioning ?
And one day all users will view the webpages using their own custom user
stylesheets... Until that day expect designers to be actively styling
their pages as they see fit.

The point i was trying to make is that you can design your site while also
allowing scaleability, user preference to impact the design and to also
ensure your content is usable across a variety of mediums.
- Kane

Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
25/05/2007 05:15 PM
Please respond to
wsg@webstandardsgroup.org

wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
cc

Subject
Re: [WSG] Converting font size from pt to % or em

On 2007/05/25 15:31 (GMT+1000) Kane Tapping apparently typed:

> Setting the body to font size to 65% - 70% is a good start.

Actually it's a bad start, arbitrarily assuming that there's something
wrong
with the user's choice of default, and reducing it by some arbitrary
amount,
even though you don't have a clue what it was to start with. Browser
default
sizes are purposely adjustable so that their users can tailor web page
text
sizes to suit their own personal needs.
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/bigdefaults.html

It's also an excellent definition of disrespect for your site's visitors.
--
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining
ever brighter till the full light of day."               Proverbs 4:18 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409