To answer the question, JAWS is the most widely used screen reader by a long
way in the English speaking world and some other markets, and anecdotal
evidence suggests that it is invariably used without any relevant changes to
the configuration settings. I hesitate to call it a standard because its own
behaviour changes from version to version, although some aspects are very
consistent. Nevertheless, it is the only sensible reference point for
discussion.

I would add the following points:

1. Some aspects of design affect screen reader users irrespective of the
screen reader they use. Designers should be aware of these issues, as they
should be aware of issues facing other user groups.

2. Few aspects of behaviour are the same with all screen readers. For
instance most 'professional' products such as JAWS announce semantic
information such as headings and lists, but some common ones including
VoiceOver (built into Mac OS X 10.4) do not. Some do not announce tables,
JAWS announces some tables and FireVox announces all tables. In the absence
of <label> elements, JAWS 'intelligently' associates nearby text with form
controls but other products do not. JavaScript support varies greatly. And
so on.

3. It is dangerous to specifically design for a particular product because
even the behaviour of one product varies from version to version. Not only
do features get added, but existing behaviours change. And if you install a
screen reader on a different browser it will behave differently due to
differences in the way it interacts with the browser's DOM and the varying
levels of MSAA support in browsers.

4. Some aspects of customisation reflect the user's preferences. The
punctuation verbosity level (none, some, most or all) would be an example.
The user adjusts this at their own risk, and the designer does not need to
take it into account. The language and synthesizer voice would be others.

5. You cannot rely on users changing the configuration options even when it
becomes easy to do so. Skill levels can be very high (our trainers are
awesome) but average skill levels are very low. When you consider that most
fully-able users don't even know you can change the font size, it's
unreasonable to expect screen reader users to be able to understand the
consequences of the hundreds (really!) of configuration options available to
them.

Before worrying about the minutiae of screen reader behaviour I think that
designers should:
a. Code to standards (not a problem for subscribers to this list).
b. Understand the users and their needs. This is a big problem because few
designers get the opportunity to see their designs used by any kind of
users, disabled or otherwise. Hands up anyone who has done any user testing
this year. Or ever.

Steve