On Jul 20, 2007, at 3:39 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Saying that PDF's are needed by Government Websites is a very circular
argument for allowing them - why are they needed? In my experience it is
only ever because of laziness or poorly designed workflows, and as you
point out, we all hate them, especially when they cannot be opened/ read.

Mike

I love web standard and practice it with the best of my ability, and I love PDF too - use it, create it, deliver it (for client), I love it especially when I need to download form, I love it even more when I can fill up the form with my keyboard directly from browser, then print it out, sign my name and post it; I also love it when an ebook I purchased (rarely because most ebook in PDF version are badly created) have hyperlink option where I can jump to certain page/ section with a click on link, and jump back with another click. I do hate it when a PDF file I downloaded, the text is unreadable with 300% zoom

A Chinese physician will tell you anything that is medicine, contain 30% of poison - over used, over dosed, if not kill you, will at least make you suffer (irritation is one of the suffering emotion I supposed) - today a Western journalist will write that anything that is Chinese medicine MIC, contains 100% poison (alas! unfortunately with some true in it), your statement came out to me like a Western journalist who wrote an article saying that all Chinese medicine contains 100% poison. Alas! as much as I know it's not true and you didn't know anything about Chinese medicine except quoting/reading something from some source or had a one tiny bad experience the last time you travelled in China, but I feel helpless to defend the Chinese medicine due to those rotten poising evil apples that do exist and have creating quite a stir.

I think in this case, blame the messenger, not the source that made of what it is.

PDF can be accessible, not in the sense of web standards, create it and delivery it with care and best practice, it's not evil at all, especially compare with flash, imho.

Look at the economic aspect, all government sectors on earth are talking about budget cutting constantly, I personal feel Government websites stand a good argument for providing PDF forms for free easy access. Don't know which country you live in, do you remember when was the last time you needed to visit post office or a city hall department to obtain a form, or worse, you need to pay for it from a third party agent that does nothing creative but make money from selling forms provided free of charge by governments.

Oh, although no statistic to proof it, but I do believe we manage to save quite a few forests each year by having the PDFs be available on one's website, on the internet.

tee