From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tony Crockford
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 2:00 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] CSS/IE Link Color Problem - SOLVED

On 4 Aug 2007, at 05:46, Cole Kuryakin wrote:

> er-riding user styles??? I've never run into that one before.
> Irritating.
>
> Aside from the !important solution or the (as yet untried) focus
> solution
> that Kepler suggested, does anyone else have an even more elegant
> option or
> ... for my issue ... is this (these) the only ones that'll work?

In the past I have classed the li, rather than the a.

ul#navTopSimpleUL li.active a
{
        color: #CC0033;
        cursor: default;
        text-decoration: none;
}

as it overcomes any pseudo differences.

however I have since stopped having links to the page on the page
they are on (as they go nowhere and do nothing and AIUI are bad
accessibility practice).

now I replace the link with the navigation text wrapped in a span
(programatically) and style the span to match my active/hover needs.

e.g.

ul#navTopSimpleUL li a:focus,
ul#navTopSimpleUL li a:hover,
ul#navTopSimpleUL li.active span