James and Kepler -

Thank you both for your input; I tried suffixing the color and text
declaration with !important and that solves the problem.

So this, I guess, is an issue of IE's built-in proprietary styles
over-riding user styles??? I've never run into that one before. Irritating.

Aside from the !important solution or the (as yet untried) focus solution
that Kepler suggested, does anyone else have an even more elegant option or
... for my issue ... is this (these) the only ones that'll work?

What is WEIRD, is that this framework that I'm devising also has an option
for a CSS drop-down menuing system. When I've tested that in IE6, the
.active class WORKS on both trigger and menu links.

It's issues like these that makes me wonder why I hadn't become a gardener.

James and Kepler, thanks again!

Cole