I can understand what the WG are saying, making it optional isn't going to
dent accessibility
because good coders will use the alt attribute regardless.

In this world there is going to be sloppy coders who dont follow rules and
positive conventions.

Flickr and Photobucket should provide an alternative method to replace the
alt attribute, but
they are sites that are controlled by the users, just like myspace, so
making sure everyone
follows their guidelines is going to be very difficult.

I think the WG made the right move. No alt tag is better then an empty one.