I find it interesting that everyone responding to this thread has failed to
mention one very important aspect of any design-for-accessibility debate:
Until you actually test it with a target audience/persona (i.e., someone who
actually **is** blind), we're all just guessing at the relative importance
of the issue at hand.  Keep in mind, that some may hear the page read aloud
and think 'Sheesh - enough with the graphics descriptions that keep
interrupting the text flow of the page'.

And yes, I've witnessed this, and it is **very** humbling.  We can read the
specifications all day long and apply them in a (seemingly) 100% correct
manner, and yet still totally ruin the experience for some.

Test, test, test.....

Mike