Got an impression that Patrick and George are experts of Opera browser :) Can you guys take a look on this?

Al, I reckon you have no problem that I bring this question here.

It came from a question someone asked on other list and Al from PVll gave a tips that I found can be improved a bit for browser compatibility, because on so many occasions, I found that using margins instead of left/right to manipulate position in an absolute position gets consistent result in browsers (except IE 6 and below, but that can easily solve) .

[1] http://www.projectseven.com/csslab/parlor-tricks/tooltip/
a.tooltip:hover span {
    display:block;
    position:absolute;
    top:0em;
        left:100%;
        width:15em;

}

the result in Safari and Opera
http://tinyurl.com/2ggkpf (doesn't work properly for opera 9.5 alpha and Opera 9.02)
http://tinyurl.com/24f2hm

Opera 9.02 has a problem with :hover span, part of the  popup box
overlapping the link element's background on hover. When link is
clicked,  the popup box shows up fine.

[2] my version: http://tinyurl.com/25beyt

a.tooltip:hover span {
    display:block;
    position:absolute;
    top:0;      left:0;
        margin-left: 5em;

}

http://tinyurl.com/27wvmw (work for Opera 9.5 alpha without clicking
the link element; still doesn't work for Opera 9.02)
http://tinyurl.com/2z3gwn

I noticed this problem before Opera 9.5 alpha came out, but didn't bother to seek for answer/solution because very rarely I need to use #2 on client's project. Now that knowing it does work for Opera 9.5 alpha, guess it's good to find out what causes the problem in #1. Also, can someone explains the use of margins over left/right [3] units with absolute position. I don't think I ever read anything from all those known CSS gurus (including you :) ) about the benefit on using margins or left/right elements when absolute positioning comes to play.

[3] top or bottom doesn't seem affect anything but quite needed; at least in many occasions when I use an absolute position, I always need to declare a unit in top or bottom with 'zero' unit in left or right, then in combination with margin (left or right) to get it works properly.

tee