Or Golan wrote:
> Why not simply display the email address as a simple
> mailto only when the browser is a screen reader?

A screen reader attaches to a visual browser as an add-on thus it cannot be
detected. It's a shame as that would solve some problems. Text browsers can
be detected, but screen readers cannot. Moreover, once that is relied upon
it can be spoofed.

I created two experimental solutions. [1] One was found out due to browser
spoofing and I now get a spam or two each week. [2] My other experiment has
proven itself effective thus far, and to the best of my knowledge it is
quite accessible.

I agree with Patrick that solving the issue on the site isn't the best way,
but only to a degree as it leaves two things up in the air. One is a problem
for me in that I cannot apply filters because I need to gauge solution
effectiveness. The other is exposing my email and filtering on the mail
server will still make the email available to harvesters. Harvesters don't
just use your email to send you spam, but they also use it as a "from" or
"reply-to" on spam sent to others. It'll look like it came from you.

My personal policy is to never put an email address on the web unless it's
written out using plain text so it's understandable to people but not
understandable to robots (Send mail to mikecherim at this domain... etc).
Most obfuscation techniques I've seen either don't work well or they aren't
accessible to all. As far as character encoding doesn't work (using server
side tech or JS), though it is accessible.

Cheers.
Mike Cherim
http://green-beast.com/

[1] Somewhat effective but not completely:
    http://mikecherim.com/experiments/php_hide_email.php
[2] So far so good (knock-on-wood):
    http://mikecherim.com/experiments/php_email_protector.php