By including an icon (and a title attribute) that indicates that the pdf will open in a new window, the knowledgeable user can easily right click if she wishes to override and take some other action. That's how divaPOP works. This seems to me to be the best of both worlds: novices will see the pdf in a new window so closing that window will not lose the site, and savvy users can right-click just as they would if the link were not scripted to open in a popup. Seems good to me.

--

E. Michael Brandt

www.divaHTML.com
divaPOP : standards-compliant popup windows
divaGPS : you-are-here menu highlighting
divaFAQ : FAQ pages with pizazz

www.valleywebdesigns.com/vwd_Vdw.asp
JustSo PictureWindow
JustSo PhotoAlbum, et alia