John Faulds wrote:
Could you show me what you've got in your corrected copy because I'm
 unsure which values I'm supposed to be tuning?

Ok, here's a smooth-working version...

* html #wrap {
width: 95%;
width:expression(((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth
: document.body.clientWidth) > 1200 ?
"1140px" : (((document.compatMode &&
document.compatMode=='CSS1Compat') ?
document.documentElement.clientWidth
: document.body.clientWidth) < 860 ? "820px"
: "95%"));
}

...ready for copy and paste into the "IE.css", if all other parameters
in your page are as before.

In the above '> 1200' is the "attack", the value used in the "greater
than" argument for when the "1140px" - the "max-width" - should be used
as 'width'.

Likewise, the '< 860' is the "attack", the value used in the "smaller
than" argument for when the "820px" - the "min-width" - should be used
as 'width'.

In between those two "attack" points is the "fluid" state where the
'width' = "95%", which is the value I chose to avoid a flickering
horizontal scrollbar in that particular layout.

So, as you can see: there are 5 values that must fit the specific
layout. One can either calculate them, or one can simply test and adjust
- tune - until it all works smoothly and looks right - like I just did
on a copy of your page.

regards
        Georg
--