We actually had this issue about 2 months ago.

There is a deprecated attribute for order list called start. You can use that, but it won't be valid HTML Strict (though it is Transitional).

You can also use the CSS counter element, which should work in your case.

The name of the old topic is "Catch 22 list problem", which you can find in the WSG archives if you want to read the full discussion.

John Faulds wrote:
I have to mark up a club constitution where all the paragraphs are numbered but there are also headings that are supposed to relate to paragraphs, e.g.:

Heading 1

1. Paragraph goes here

2. Paragraph goes here

3. Paragraph goes here

Heading 2

4. Paragraph goes here

5. Paragraph goes here

Heading 3

6. Paragraph goes here

etc.

An ordered list seems like the most obvious choice but what would I do with the headings which fall outside of the list items?

--

Christian Snodgrass
Azure Ronin Web Design