From: "Christian Montoya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My concern with the complaint is that it is clearly twofold; that
Microsoft is holding standards back, and that Microsoft is holding
competitors back. One is valid, the other is clearly business.

Here's another way to look at it...

Microsoft is a software publisher. It develops an OS that contains a default browser: Internet Explorer. Microcenter makes PowerSpec brand computers. It made my computer. It installed Microsoft Windows on my computer in the flavor I specified. It installed a 1 year subscription NAS, which it does on all of its computers. It also installed Firefox. When I booted up the computer the first time, Windows asked me to set my default programs. One of the choices was for a browser. I could have chosen Firefox.

As my logic goes, Opera should be suing Microcenter -- as well as any other computer manufacturer that does not include Opera.

Further:

Apple is both a computer manufacturer and a software publisher. It develops an OS that contains a default browser: Safari. My iMac comes with neither Firefox nor Opera. Opera, using its logic, should sue Apple, the software publisher. Using my logic, they should sue Apple, the computer manufacturer.

If I were Opera, I'd take a long walk along the fjords and do some soul-searching about "ethics", EU-style ethics notwithstanding.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com