Thierry Koblentz wrote:

DIVs are used for this, but do they *mean* this? If yes, then why does the
following validate?

For the same reason that

<li class="foo"></li>

also validates.

Because if we are talking "hierarchy" and semantics, I think
"something"
should "reveal" the relationship between these elements.
"something" — like being in the same DIV?

And that's enough?

Yes, since the DOM that's constructed is unequivocal about the structure.

It is the context in which it is found that conveys the information.

It's the overall document structure and the DOM that results from it. not "context".

With a list I think the markup does a better job at translating "hierarchy" and
relationship since when nesting occurs, the element used *is* different .

From the DOM's perspective, the hierarchy/relationship is clear in just as clear in both cases.

Why would we need to group containers together if it is not for styling purpose?

Because we're saying that anything in the container belongs together (thematically, content-wise, logically, etc).

Do we use a wrapper because it brings more meanings to the document or because
it let us center our layout, create faux columns etc.?

To create meaning, of course.

Once again, I do not say we should *not* use DIVs, I'm only saying we should
not try to make them look for what they are not.

You'be been trying to make lists fit your view of what a document is

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/