Martin Heiden wrote:
Simon,

on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 15:24 wsg@webstandardsgroup.org wrote:

I am on a webpage...how do I know what page the browser was previously
showing.

I think Javascript History object is the ticket...but STRICT mode in Firefox
seems to tell me that I don't have permission to access it.

NOTE: I don't want to use the History object to go back or forward...I just
want to know what the previous page was...so I can create a button to go
back to it...

You can't!

There are some properties that hold the value you are looking for, but
these aren't reliable:

1. javascript:history.back() - only works if JS is turned on.
2. HTTP-Header Referrer - may be supressed by proxies/firewalls or the user
   You can access it via (PHP|Java|ASP|...) or by JS document.referrer

Any ideas on how easy it would be for a user to dissable such a feature of their firewall software, I'm guessing it would be a hidden feature usually. Garrr, unnecessary "protection" that will cause more problems to outweigh the protection it offers IMHO.
regards

  Martin