Joe Ortenzi wrote:
I would have thought so. Isn't that what the id attribute is used for? Something for JavaScript to reference?

Chris Knowles wrote:
CK> from what I can see the reason lists have come into use in forms has a
CK> lot to do with javascript libraries that have re-ordering of elements by CK> drag and drop that tend to work mainly on lists. Therefore lists are CK> useful to wrap form elements if you are creating form building software
CK> so the form elements can be easily reordered by non-technical users.

I suppose that form elements can be easily reordered even if form
elements are not LI-wrapped. Can't they?

yes, but my point was that a lot of js libraries base drag and drop re-ordering of elements around list elements and not other elements. And I have noticed a lot of form building services use lists to markup forms because they require drag and drop re-ordering of form elements. So I'm suggesting they are only using list elements because they can add drag and drop easily by using an external library that supports it, not because they think lists are necessarily a good markup choice.

--
Chris Knowles