Joe Ortenzi wrote:
Perhaps Chris But standards people are interested in following standards, not what others may do. We are meant to be leaders, not followers. I also know some people who still want tabled layouts running in Mambo. That doesn't mean their options are either standards compliant nor sensible.

what i really meant was, I can't see why people would use lists for forms and I don't know why they have started doing so. I was just offering one possible reason why they have.

There's nothing stopping us from:

id ="form element_1"
id ="form element_2"
id ="form element_3"

if we need to order elements. Or have I missed something?

yes, you can do it that way. I myself tried to implement a drag and drop on table rows which essentially worked quite well but messed up inexplicably at times in certain browsers and therefore wasn't an acceptable solution. And it took some time to code, so what I'm saying is, it's easier in a case like that to implement as a list if possible and use a pre-written javascript library that easily adds drag and drop to lists in a few lines of code. Therefore, you start using markup based on pre-written libraries and not on your natural choice. Hence, maybe thats where this using lists in forms has come from?

--
Chris Knowles