As Joe said, I also think icons are a great way for users to quickly
scan the page and get a sense of what is going on.

There is a nice article [1] that can show you how to automatically
style links with little icons depending on the extension of the file
it points to if you are interested.

Cheers,

Matt

[1] - http://www.askthecssguy.com/2006/12/showing_hyperlink_cues_with_cs_1.html