Yes, IE doesn't handle attribute selectors.

However, I'd still be tempted to use it. The only thing that happens is that IE6 doesn't display the icons. Graceful degradation. Users with newer browsers will get a better experience, but it'll still work with the older browsers.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Designer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Best Practice to Offer Different Formats of Documents

Matt Fellows wrote:

There is a nice article [1] that can show you how to automatically
style links with little icons depending on the extension of the file
it points to if you are interested.

Cheers,

Matt

[1] - http://www.askthecssguy.com/2006/12/showing_hyperlink_cues_with_cs_1.html

Hi Matt,  I was intrigued by the simplicity of your use of:

a[href $='.pdf'] {
   padding-right: 18px;
background: transparent url(../../sitegraphics/outofit.gif) no-repeat center right;
}

etc., but when I checked it in my (standalone) IE6, it failed. Is that to be expected? (standalone IE6 gives 'funny' results sometimes). If so, it's dead as a useful tool for me.

Bob
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk