On 11 Mar 2008, at 22:38, Matt Fellows wrote:

I also like the way you have not gone with the basic "skip to content"
link and gone with a quick "skip to" menu, I have been advocating a
similar approach that integrates access key's into these menu's as
well.

Is there a reason for not using 'accesskey' at all?

Matt;

I recall reading somewhere that 'accesskey' is often considered more hindrance than benefit because there are no standardised keys for specific functions and it inevitably ends up conflicting with regular browser shortcuts that keyboard users or screenreader users are likely to wish to utilise.

I don't know whether that is the general consensus or not, nor can I say whether that was Mike's reason for not using acesskey, but it makes sense to me.

--
Rick Lecoat