I find most do. I think there is a wide disparity depending on who you work with. Over time we are going to move to a much more educated group of users. Students coming out of college now are highly computer literate and web savvy. The next generation of users growing up using myspace and linked in are not going to have problems using the back button. And they will be used to seeing various different types of links actually used rather than what we say they "should" be. On the other and the current older generation which makes up a lot of senior managements 50+ age group may be the group you are discussing. One group has never known a world without the web and sees it an an integral part of their generations social identity while the other group first started to use it as needed for business.

Michael Horowitz
Your Computer Consultant
http://yourcomputerconsultant.com
561-394-9079

Designer wrote:
Keryx Web wrote:

Underlines on paper have no usability impact, since you cant click on it! Underlines on web pages have a usability impact, since people think they are clickable links.

Just out of interest, I did a site map recently and all the links were red and underlined, at least on hover. The client moaned and didn't like the red or the underline. I explained that it was 'standard convention for links'. The response was "oh, I didn't realise that!". Thing is, this person and her current staff of three have been using a PC since 1998. No one else knew either. So I did a simple test on all of them. NO-one (that's big fat zero) knew what the 'back-button' was . . .

This is what I find time and time again. Contrary to some of the comments l hear on this list, my experience is such that most computer users haven't got the first clue about how to use their machines, even after ten years . . .

I wish we had real information on this, because it has a direct bearing on whether we should be holding users hands whilst designing a site, or assuming (wrongly) that users have 'choices'. (open in a new tab? you must be joking!!)

Bob
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk