On 5/28/08, Chris Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For a few years now I've been marking up a clients company logo as a <h1>. I
> just wanted to get an idea of how many people actually do this compared to
> using a html image tag? I believe a <h1> is more semantically correct
> however I'd be interested in seeing what other people on this list think.

Headers and particularly h1 headers are not "the" most important item
on a page. Headers introduce sections of which there can be more than
one on a page and which can run more than one page. This is what the
html 4.01 specs say about headers:

"A heading element briefly describes the topic of the section it
introduces. Heading information may be used by user agents, for
example, to construct a table of contents for a document
automatically.

There are six levels of headings in HTML with H1 as the most important
and H6 as the least. Visual browsers usually render more important
headings in larger fonts than less important ones.

The following example shows how to use the DIV element to associate a
heading with the document section that follows it. Doing so allows you
to define a style for the section (color the background, set the font,
etc.) with style sheets.

<DIV class="section" id="forest-elephants" >
<H1>Forest elephants</H1>
<P>In this section, we discuss the lesser known forest elephants.
...this section continues...
<DIV class="subsection" id="forest-habitat" >
<H2>Habitat</H2>
<P>Forest elephants do not live in trees but among them.
...this subsection continues...
</DIV>
</DIV>"
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-H1

HTML5 is perhaps even clearer on the sectioning nature of headings
since it also calls for the specific use of section tags to work with
headers:

"The h1–h6 elements and the header element are headings.

The first element of heading content in an element of sectioning
content gives the header for that section. Subsequent headers of equal
or higher rank start new (implied) sections, headers of lower rank
start subsections that are part of the previous one.

Sectioning content elements are always considered subsections of their
nearest ancestor element of sectioning content, regardless of what
implied sections other headings may have created.

Certain elements are said to be sectioning roots, including blockquote
and td elements. These elements can have their own outlines, but the
sections and headers inside these elements do not contribute to the
outlines of their ancestors. "
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#headings0

Discussions of sections and articles and outlines seem to further
confirm that headers are for sections not sites. Site headers are
discussed under articles and outlines which include and seem to
superceed headers in 5.

In other words, it seems completely plausible to have an h1 for the
logo and an h1 for the page topic if both of those seem to the author
to constitute separate sections in 4.01 and obligatory in 5.

drew